Friday 11 March 2016

Cracking the Novice 22 Code

Feeling much more confident with Nov 22 for tomorrow.
Last weekend we were travelling to the show with headlights on this time we will coming back in the dark.
Good to see shows well attended, Hope Alfie wont mind getting his dinner late smile emoticon
Yesterday was a very good session. The arena we share was super busy, Alfie not only had to go round lots of jumps but also pass lots of others working. This is really good practice for him. It did take a while to get him out of tight back I am on a mission mode but he did soften in his overall frame eventually and didn't tighten his neck up at the start. Without the short choppy steps I could ride him more forward and stay quieter myself.
We had a head bobbing moment when he decided to try and test me and he almost got me fiddling ! It wasn't a head shaking episode just a bobbing away from the contact moment so we went into a bridge rein to allow me to hold my contact still and waited for him to settle/give him.
Last weekend I rode the two half 10m circles atrociously so that was the mission of the night. By jove we did get it and if i say so myself they were super !!! We even used the jumps as markers to ride round and Alfie stayed calm, although that may have been tired rather than calm !!
So tomorrow I need to remember speed is not necessary.
Check out my next post to see how I will ride them

B – Half Circle Left 10 Metres Diameter to X
X – Half Circle Right 10 Metres Diameter to E
Master the 10m circle first then ride through the half 10m circles
Count the beats to help with the rhythm. I also like to say what I am riding in time with the striding for example Look sit up left bend X look sit up right bend.
I need to show the judge Alfie can stay soft in his back. Maintain rhythm through the turns
Softness shows relaxation.
My aim is to maintain lightness in my aids.
Use half halts in prep for every turn section.
Look where we are going. I need to know I am sure where I am going so Alfie knows where he is going
A little collection rather than speed without wobbly errors at X to give us time to prep for the second movement
Think about keeping mine and the horse’s shoulders level.
Inside leg to maintain the bend but also be ready to catch if he drifts out through the left shoulder.
Level hands are important this also helps me keep my elbows tidy
I must not collapse on the turn sections. I don't want my horse to mimic me
Good Luck everyone that has a test this weekend with this movement in it.
Why not share your stories with us and let us know how you get on.

The Orchard Holding and Wacky Racers Adventures's photo.

The Orchard Holding and Wacky Racers Adventures's photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment